[SOLVED] Re: boot record recovery??

The Partition-Rescue HOWTO wasn't very useful to me, but I solved my
problem while finding "gpart", a system util that I found on
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/filesystems. It tries to guess your
partition table from the raw data on your HD, comparing it to conventional
disk partition fingerprints.

Thanks for everybodies help,

Nico

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Benoit.Joly wrote:

> hi, maybe you should look at the partition-rescue howto...
>
> http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Partition-Rescue.html
>
> if you still can access your linux partition, i think your partition
> table is ok.
>
> did you try to reinstall lilo and try to boot dos with it?
> maybe by chance you just lost the mbr... (i hope for ya it's the case)
>
> Benoit
>
> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, scratch wrote:
>
> > Hi people,
> >
> > I've been extremely stupid a few moments ago. I did 'dd if=resc.bin
> > of=/dev/hda' instead of 'of=/dev/fd0'. I accidentally rewrote the first
> > data on my first hard disk!!
> >
> > This is what my partition table on /dev/hda was like: hda1 & hda2.
> > hda1: win95 partition (fat16), bootable, approx. 1.5 gig
> > hda2: linux native, rest of the drive, approx. 1 gig
> >
> > lilo was installed on this drive, 'dd' reported 2880 records written to
> > /dev/hda.
> >
> > I'm desperately searching for a way to recover my data. Does anyone know a
> > dirty way to do this, preferably with as little damage as possible?
> > Maybe anyone has got experience with specific software to deal with this
> > kind of problem? (could eg. Partition Magic do "magic" here?)
> >
> > This was not my linux root disk, so I can still access that (with a
> > bootdisk ofcourse). A DOS partition is more dramatic.

--:: scratch at ace.ulyssis.student.kuleuven.ac.be ::-----------------
--:::::::::::::::::::::::::: Linux - Free power for the masses :::::::