Subject: Debian Potato/glibc-2.1 Printing Fix/Workaround
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 13:11:44 -0400
From: Chris Jenkins <cjenkins@knight-hub.com>
Newsgroups: stardivision.com.support.installation

Well, as I said in my post on installing for a glibc2.1-based system, I was
not in a position to take no for an answer. A few times I thought I was
going to have to move back to slink, but I really did not want to do this.
Ok, so here's the problem and the solution for printing (see disclaimer
below)...

Problem: Printing from SO5 does not work, due to the fact that they call
external programs that have not been "patched" in the way that the SO5
binaries have, to use ld_linux.so.2 as explained in the thread "Libc6 2.1.1+
SO died and SO wont install - WORKAROUND". Specifically, these programs are
sh (sh is a link to bash on a debian potato system), cat and lpr.

Solution: First part of this problem that needed to be fixed was bash.
The most recent version of bash in potato is dependent upon (libc6 >= 2.1).
In other words it won't run with libc2.0.7, included with SO5. To remedy
this, I d/l'ed the source files from the potato source directory, and
compiled bash with "./configure --minimal-config --enable-static-link". The
minimal-config was included because I was having problems compiling without
it, but the static-link is the important part here. I then removed the
symbolic link /bin/sh and took the resulting executable (bash) and moved it
to bin/sh (renaming it in the process, not replacing /bin/bash). This has to
be done, as the fork call explicitly names /bin/sh. Ok, cat and lpr can both
be used with the SO libc, but rather than patching the binaries as done in
the case with the SO *.bin files, I took the approach of calling them with
the link library explicitly named (/lib/ld_linux.so.2 /bin/cat). I did this
by creating a file for each in the SO bin directory and set them as
executable by all. Here is the contents of each (you may need to adjust
paths depending on where these files are on your system, and where you
installed SO5 to:

** /usr/local/share/Office50/bin/cat **
/lib/ld_linux.so.2 /bin/cat $*

** /usr/local/share/Office50/bin/lpr **
/lib/ld_linux.so.2 /usr/bin/lpr $*

And the final change is to the file
/usr/local/share/Office50/bin/soffice. In order for the application to find
your new cat & lpr rather than the "real" ones, you need to add the SO bin
directory to the front of the PATH variable in the applications environment.
Towards the end of the file is the line:

export THREADS_TYPE JAVA_HOME CLASSPATH SAL_FONTPATH XPPATH

I changed this to:

# set Office bin directory to beginning of Path
PATH=$sd_inst/bin:$PATH

export THREADS_TYPE JAVA_HOME CLASSPATH SAL_FONTPATH XPPATH PATH

This will have the effect explained above, and is the final step. You
should now be able to run SO5 and print.

Disclaimer: I have found the above steps work for me. They may or may
not work for you. If you are not familiar with what you are doing and
attempt the following steps and hose your system, kill your dog or start
a nuclear holocaust, I will assume no responsibility whatsoever. There
may be an easier or better way to arrive at the desired state, as I said
this is just what worked for me.

Good luck ye who enter,
Chris Jenkins
cjenkins@knight-hub.com