sendmail/fetchmail

	ok maybe i'm simple-minded but i cannot get fetchmail to fetch my mail
from my pop3 server. running fetchmail in -v mode, there were no errors
logging into the pop3 server, but once it gets to fetching the messages
it just sits there on the first one and does nothing.
	to test my setup, i tried getting mail from a different pop3 account,
on another server (friend's account), and it supposedly fetched (did not
hang that time at all, completed without errors or incident), BUT,
stranger still, i have no idea WHERE it put the mail if it really did
fetch it. i ran fetchmail as root, and root had no mail. i was unable to
locate this supposedly fetched mail anywhere on my system.
	another odd tidbit is this: sendmail runs on boot, of course, but if i
check with ps x a while later its mysteriously GONE. i restart it, and
check, and its there, but again check later and its gone AGAIN. someone
please tell me why it keeps disappearing on me and i'll be very
thankful.
	if i can manage to keep sendmail running for a bit, i can send email
without problems. THAT works fine, at least, without incident. <g>
	info about my system (in case its important) are as follows: i'm
running potato with kernel 2.2.6. and the potato versions of fetchmail
and sendmail. (prepackaged .debs, if that matters also).
	i'm new at email on linux systems and i have no idea what i'm doing, to
be honest. in fact, i'm not very experienced with any of this. it's
probably some small bit i have misconfigured, and i have read docs and
mans but i can't find anything wrong...had an experienced friend telnet
in as well and he couldn't find any config problems either. any help
would be highly appreciated. need any more info, feel free to email me.
	gracias!