Re: R: 10Gb drive - only 8Gb accessible

David B.Teague wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Ray wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 10:18:08AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> > > >
> > > Is there software like MaxBlast or EZBios that comes with the disk?
> > > Debian 2.0 is working well for me with a disk with EZBios on it.
> > [snip]
>
> > It's much better to try to get a bios update for your motherboard or
> > a controller that has a bios built in.  For Linux you can specify
> > the geometry directly if you must.  For Windows, you may need an
> > update from MS to get it to deal with large drives (depending on
> > what revision of Windows is being used) even with a bios upgrade.
>
> I've a machine with a very recent bios, that has a 10.2 Gig IDE Hd,
> and Linux and Win 98 both knew about the full drive capacity.
>
> I think Keith and other who recommend updating the bios by a flash
> download or by getting a new motherboard are probably right.

Actually, I did *not* recommend that, but I agree it's the best course,
if possible.  In my own case, with an ancient machine at work, neither
were really feasible, but everything works fine with EZBios.

If you tried EZBios or whatever, and everything worked right, you'd at
least *know* at that point that your machine's BIOS was lying about the
capacity (and not some problem with fdisk and the Windows software,
etc.).  Then you could feel quite confident about upgrading your BIOS or
MB.  That's what I'd do, but that's just me...

Check the website for the manufacturer of your BIOS, for one thing.

I had an old 486 at home running AMIBIOS, where the only hardware option
that would get the correct geometry reported was a separate ISA extender
card from AMI.