Re: Hit by virus !? Help, please...

Wasn't there a 'how to make a machine really secure' thread on this list
a little while back (probably around the last time one of these data
viruses exploded)?

If I remember correctly suggestions started with using 'tripwire'
software, progressed through not using any floppies at all, then
disconnecting from any network access, and ended up with a linux box
encased in concrete in a secret underground bunker with automatic
sentries, and switched off.

The point is that it is impossible to completely protect your computer
from some sort of 'foreign' interference without rendering it useless.
Thus the sensible thing to do is to make regular back-ups, and also to
have some way of detecting when your integrity has been compromised
(excuse the lapse into pseudo-military jargon, I've been watching too
many war movies on the news), so that you don't back up corrupted data
over older but intact data if you use incremental back-up.

Having said all that, I'm absolutely useless at keeping backups, so I'm
probably heading for a complete loss of data.

Rich