Print spooling, SMB browsing, communism and other mishaps

i've finally decided to give up and ask a question instead of trying to understand some particularly bad

1. Printing. i've got a Canon BJC-4200. I'm using kernel 2.2.5.
I can echo "Hello" > /dev/lp0 and get it on paper. i cant get lpr to actually do anything even after i checked the printcap file (it was lp1 but changing it didnt solve the problem).

2. Samba... I'm using 2 ip addresses and samba loves the second interface only-- i have them both installed in smb.conf but it wont contact any computer on the first subnet (i'm probably cheating... there's no wins server or anything). I got LinNeigborhood (altavista told me 'bout it)... it says browsing does not work (sorry i dont have it verbatim)