Re: lilo: 'Kernel /vmlinuz is too big'

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 11:03:25PM +0200, Tony Crawford wrote:
> Ian Peters wrote (on 27 Apr 99, at 15:45):
>
> > > wasn't significantly smaller. Are there some arcana of bzImage-making
> > > that I missed in the kernel docs? (and yes, I did make mrproper
> > > first!)
> >
> > Uhh ... it's not supposed to be.  It's not smaller, just contains
> > logic to handle loading the bigger kernel.
>
> Okay! How do I tell lilo about this?
>
> T.

Just like a zImage file in lilo, except it's a bzImage file.
Personally, I use a bzImage file, using make-kpkg, and basically I
have this:

The compiled kernel (formerly linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage) copied to
/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.6, and a link from /vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.6

This is my lilo.conf trimmed of comments:

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/sda1
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
delay=20
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
image=/vmlinuz
	label=Linux
	read-only
other=/dev/hda1
	label=Windows98

So you see, you don't do anything different.  If it's too big for a
zImage file, you compile a bzImage file.  Everything else is to you
the same, just internally things work a little bit differently.

--
Ian Peters		"I never let schooling interfere with my education."
itp@gnu.org					-- Mark Twain