Re: how to verify duplex in linux?

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 07:17:08AM -0700, POP3 for aphro.. wrote:
> it's possible linux still is not in half duplex mode(or maybe windows
> isn't)

That would be my first guess.

is there a way to check wether i'm in full/half duplex?

Well, the collisions are a pretty good indicator of that but also try dmesg
on the Linux box to see what the driver is reporting when it is installed.
On my system the output of dmesg looks like this:

  tulip.c:v0.89H 5/23/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
  eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC at 0xd800, 00 a0 cc 21 2c d5, IRQ 10.
  eth0:  MII transceiver found at MDIO address 1, config 3100 status 7829.
  eth0:  Advertising 01e1 on PHY 1, previously advertising 01e1.
  TIOCSER?WILD ioctl obsolete, ignored.
  TIOCSER?WILD ioctl obsolete, ignored.
  eth0: Changing PNIC configuration to half-duplex, CSR6 816e0000.

I think you can force half duplex in conf.modules but you really shouldn't
have to.  You might find that if either card is using full duplex then the
other try to use that as well so you might want to disconnect the Win. box
until you are sure the Linux side is initializing properly.

>  I've seen
> utilites on nasa's site for other cards but didn't see any for my
> card(rt8129). i think the problem may only be on one end?  i set both
> card's to half duplex via the dos utility and wrote it to the card's ROM.
> but maybe there is a way for the OS to ovveride this?

I know that the tulip based cards can and usually are overridden so probably
this is true of the RT cards as well.

>i guess this is what
> i get for buying crap hardware(the cards were $14 each, new) everything
> else of mine is of relativly high quality.
>
> hmm, wonder how much 3com cards cost..

People have had trouble with those too but I think you are just looking at a
config. issue.

--
Ray
maillists@sonictech.net