Re: Fixing dpkg database after disk crash

*- On 27 Apr, Helge Hafting wrote about "Fixing dpkg database after disk crash"

> I had a filesystem crash that damaged a few files.
> dpkg wouldn't run after this, complaining about
> errors. (dselect was running at the time of the crash)
>
> I was able to fix /var/lib/dpkg/info/available
> because there was a backup.
>
> But some other files was ruined, such as emacs19.list
> and ed.list  dpkg would not run because of that, so
> I moved the offending files away from the directory.
> dpkg is now usable, but complains that these files
> are missing.  Can I restore them in any way,
> without reinstalling debian?
>
> Helge Hafting

You can re-install the individual packages with

dpkg -i <package file>.deb.

Or you can just get a copy of the list files from someone.
I don't have emacs19 installed but here is the ed.list.

% cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/ed.list
/.
/bin
/bin/ed
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/red
/usr/info
/usr/info/ed.info.gz
/usr/man
/usr/man/man1
/usr/man/man1/ed.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/red.1.gz
/usr/doc
/usr/doc/ed
/usr/doc/ed/copyright
/usr/doc/ed/changelog.gz
/usr/doc/ed/changelog.Debian.gz

Someone else will have to send you the emacs19.list.

--
Brian
							   - unknown

Mechanical Engineering                                bservis@usa.net