Startup error: "Unknown Interrupt"

That's basically it. It's a packard bell 486, Cyrix dx2/80 currently 16M
memory in it, 0K external sram cache, running slink. If I try to put more
than 16M into it (It's supposed to go up to 64M) it will boot up to init,
but then will halt with the "Unknown Interrupt" error. My init's version
2.76

I'm in the process of compiling a 2.2.0 kernel for this machine in order
to check for problems resolving around the kernel compile or version. Is
there anything else I should check? No, adding cache chips is not an
option at the moment. :(