Re: acct going berserk!

	Subject: Re: acct going berserk!
	Date: Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 02:02:58PM +0100

Quoting David Wright(d.wright@open.ac.uk):
> Quoting Wayne Topa (wtopa@mindspring.com):
> > Quoting Max(maxk@chinook.stanford.edu):
> > > Has anyone else noticed their /var/account/pacct files growing out of
[ snip ]

> On my system, /var/account/pacct suddenly grows out of control
> until the disk is full (within a few minutes) and all the daemons
> start bleating (shared partition for home,tmp,var). After removing
> the file, I have to fsck to reclaim the space (thousands of fixes
> scream past on the console). Then I remove acct and forget about it
> until a new distribution appears.
>
> Are you runing hamm or slink (i.e. do I have to try again)?
>
> Cheers,

With the above tip (acct) I think I have found the problem.  I checked
my /var/lib/dpkg/status file.  It seem I do NOT have that installed and
the error msg is - /etc/cron.monthly/acct: ac: command not found -.

So it seem that the cron.monthly doesn't realize it.  The cron.daily
and monthly scripts do not check of the existence of the ac
executable.  I will just make the acct files in cron not executable.
That should fix it here.

BTW running slink, Kernel 2.2.6 with a bit of potato.

Thanks, I had been looking for account, not acct.  You help me find
the problem here, hope you can find your problem now.

Best regards
Wayne

Wayne T. Topa <wtopa@mindspring.com>