Unwanted routing table entries

Hi, I'm new to this list so if this is the wrong place to ask this please
tell me. I recently bought the Debian CDs and managed to get everything
installed. My first project was to get my modem properly connecting to my
ISP. After finally getting my modem working and the scripts set up I still
have a problem with PPP. After every restart, when I type route -n, I get:

    Destination        Gateway        Genmask        Flags    Metric    Ret
Use    Iface
    192.168.0.2        0.0.0.0       255.255.255.255   UH        1
0        0       sl0
    127.0.0.0           0.0.0.0        255.0.0.0              U         0
0        0        lo
    0.0.0.0               0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0                  U         1
0        0        sl0

Anyway my problem is with the first and third entries. When I use pppd it
gives me an error saying the default route has already been set and will not
work. When I delete those entries ppp works fine. My question is, when in
the init process are these entries being made and how to I get rid of them?
I have looked through a lot of the files in /etc/init.d and found nothing. I
see no messages about their creation when I type dmesg either. I do know
that they are created during the init process because when I delete they
reappear after reboot.

I realize I could put commands at the end of the init process that would
erase these entries but I would rather keep them from happening. I am sort
of curious as to what they are as well. I gather that sl from sl0 stands for
serial link (got this from ifconfig) but other than that I know nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Avery Fay