Re: Direct serial connection

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:41:44 -0500 (CDT), Jor-el wrote:

>> You need a 2.2.x kernel for this to work or a patched 2.0.x one.
Basically
>> you use a kernel command-line parameter of "console=ttyS0" to make a
serial
>> terminal (box A in your setup) hooked to /dev/ttyS0 on machine B the
display
>> for machine B. You also need a getty running on /dev/ttyS0.
>	Do you know where to get hold of the patch for the 2.0.x kernels?

A quick web search yielded:

  http://www.linuxhq.com/patch/20-p0100.html
  ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/os/linux/kernel/v2.0/unoff-patches/

The latter probably is the "canonic" site since this is the domain the
author (Mike van Smoerenburg(sp?)) is mailing from.

>	Also, the kernel command line parameter that you described - is it
>for box A or box B? I need the monitor to be a console for Box A as well
>as Box B (preferably on different ttys).

The kernel command line parameter is for box B. It tells box B to redirect
console output to its serial port. You would then start a terminal program
like minicom or Seyon on box A that listens on box A's serial port that is
connected with a null-modem to box B's serial port.

Does that make things clearer to you? Or have I made it worse? :)

Ralf

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\