Serial port redirection

I want to use my debian box to capture the input/output from a windows
serial line.  Currently, the windows machine has a modem connected to say,
COM1.  My Debian Linux system has two free serial ports ttyS0 and ttyS1.
If I were to hook the windows COM1 port through a null modem cable to
ttyS0, and the modem with a normal cable to ttyS1 would I be able to
software link the two serial devices together and capture what goes
across?

I thought that I'd try somthing like:
cat /dev/ttyS0 > /dev/ttyS1 &
cat /dev/ttyS1 > /dev/ttyS0 &

Does anybody think that this will work?  or can anybody offer any advice?

How do I plumb in the capture file?

Please CC me on any responses, as I don't have the bandwidth to subscribe
to this list.

Thomas Lovie.