Re: /dev/console wrong on upgraded systems (2.0 -> 2.1)

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 20:42:49 +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:

>  >I discovered that on ALL my systems that originally were Debian 2.0
and have
>      >
>  >been upgraded to Debian 2.1 /dev/console is wrong. It's a link to
/dev/tty0
>  >instead of a device special file (mknod -m 622 /dev/console c 5 1).
>  >
>  >Can anyone pls. check whether this is the case with "native" 2.1
systems?
>  >Anyone know who to inform in case the bug is also present in 2.1?
>
>This is the relevant bit of /dev/MAKEDEV (makedev package):
[...]
>                        if [ $kern_rev1 -eq 2 -a $kern_rev2 -ge 1 ]
>                        then
>                                makedev console c 5 1 $cons
>                        else
>                                symlink console tty0
>                        fi
>
>Therefore, if your kernel is 2.1 or greater, you can delete the console
>symlink and run `MAKEDEV console' to create a new console device.

Right, I forgot to mention that I'm running 2.2.x.

>Since 2.1 (slink) ships with kernel 2.0.3x, the symlink is correct for
>it.  Perhaps the makedev package should contain something to look at the
>kernel version and upgrade automatically?

Shouldn't there be an automatic mechanism that upon system boot checks the
kernel version and forces certain vital device special files to be
correct?

Ralf

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\