Re: Sound

On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 08:51:15PM +0930, Trevor Glen wrote:
> I got it to work, after I reset the computer! I think that it is a problem
> with gnome. After I ran the Gnome Control Centre it seemed to lock the
> /dev/audio device, and even after I killed, or exited the program it still
> returned the Device or Resource..etc.
Care to try something?
Re-run gnomecc, and then exit.  OK, now 'ps x|grep esd'.  Did you get one
(IE a line other then the 'grep esd' you just did)?
If you did, that's your problem.  It's called the "enlightened sound
daemon", and the point behind it is to allow multiple programs to play sound
at the same time.  Unfornatly, they can only play sound through it.  If you
want somthing else to be able to play sound, you have several choices:
1) kill it off.
2) 'esdctl standby' before somthing else needs to play, and 'esdctl resume'
   after.
3) 'esddsp <program>' to make program play sound via esd.
4) Use esdplay to play an audio file.
5) Pipe an audio file into esdcat.

	-=- James Mastros
--
"My friend Data: You see the world with the wonder of a child, and that
makes you more human then any of us."