Re: Direct serial connection

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 11:39:53 -0500 (CDT), Jor-el wrote:

>Is this possible?

Yes. See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt.

I've just done it (after having some trouble due to an incorrect
/dev/console device).

You need a 2.2.x kernel for this to work or a patched 2.0.x one. Basically
you use a kernel command-line parameter of "console=ttyS0" to make a serial
terminal (box A in your setup) hooked to /dev/ttyS0 on machine B the display
for machine B. You also need a getty running on /dev/ttyS0.

If you need further assistance feel free to ask here in the list or via
personal mail to me.

Ralf

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\