Re: login to a ramdisk machine

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, dan ilan wrote:

> a rescue disk but to install working linux on ram).
> My problem is that i can't login to the machine, since no user
> (including root) is defined. maybe you can help out how to add a user
> and a passwd to the root file system.
>
> escpecially, why -
> 1. changing the /etc/passwd file doesn't enable root login

Are you trying to log in via telnet as root? That is disabled by default.
You will have to edit /etc/securetty and add yout ttyp devices if you want
to allow a root network login.

Also, if you add a user to the ramdisk image, that user will disappear the
next time you reboot and reload your root image unless you make a new root
image.