Re: adding to PATH

I'm not sure exactly where your path is coming from.  However, a couple
of points:  you need
	export PATH
somewhere to make PATH part of the global environment (not just limited
to within the profile script;  you can extent the path thus:
	export PATH=$PATH:<addition to end of path>
or
	export PATH=<addition to beginning of path>:$PATH

What you set in /etc/profile should (according to the FM) should be read
whenever you open a login shell, so maybe you just forgot to export the
PATH.  The only other place I think this could be set is ~/.profile, so
you might want to check that out.

HTH
Rich

Arcady Genkin wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I'm having a problem adding to a system-wide PATH variable... I've
> added the following in /etc/profile:
> PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/java/bin"
>
> However, "echo $PATH" produces:
>
> ./:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
>
> My ~/.bashrc and ~/bash_profile do not contain anything to do with
                    ^^
probably just a typo (should have '.')