Re: kernel 2.2.6

On Sat, Apr 24, 1999 at 06:02:50PM -0400, Timothy Hospedales wrote:
>         What is the inherent issue which puts a limit on the size max size of
> the kernel? And what plans do Linus et al have for 3.0+ or whenever even "bz"
> Kernels pass this size limit?

How close does bzImage come to the limit when almost everything is compiled as
modules? I still build my 2.2 kernel as zImage sometimes, and I haven't
met the limit, so there's probably a fair way to go yet.

One solution is to compile more stuff as modules. Using the initrd
(ramdisk) stuff, you can basically make all drivers modules except a simple
file system (minix or romfs or something) and the ramdisk driver. You don't
even need file system or hardware drivers for your root disk.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3TYD.