HP Pavillion 6355 X setup

I've tried for the last couple of weeks to set up X through Debian on this
computer. All the setup/probing tools lead me to the Mach64 server, but I
cannot get it up (!). I have succeeded with the vga16 server, but this is
only a stopgap. The same screen values that work with the vga server don't
work with the Mach64 server. Any one ever set up one of these machines, or
have a better idea of exactly what I have inside it? This is my wifes work
machine and I am loathed to start tearing it apart to read the chips.

I am going to try the latest MAch64 server from xfree, but do not hold out
much hope - Anyone help?

Ed