Re: smail, not open email relay

>> "NB" == Nicola Bernardelli <n.bern@esselite.it> writes:

NB> the problem is far from here on a Debian box permanently connected to the
NB> Internet and I would not like to update the mail agent from here.

The new standard MTA is exim. You don't have to switch, if your
current setup is working OK. I have a box running unstable and I have
smail, because I didn't have time to switch. When it doesn't break,
don't touch it :-)

NB> but I'd have to configure smail on it for it not to act as an open
NB> email relay, that is for it not to accept and forward email
NB> messages coming from other boxes.

I have smtp_remote_allow=localnet in smail's config, so only connects
from localnet may specify a non-local destination address.

I use smail 3.2.0.102-1, but I believe relay control has been added in
3.2.0.100 or such some.

Ciao,
	Martin