Lock file and .seq problems after apt-get upgrade

I have now been unable to run apt-get update as (su) root.  I receive
these messages:

 E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
 E: Unable to lock the administration directory /var/lib/dpkg/, are you root? - Open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)

Also, I have not been able to print as a normal user, getting this
message:

    lpr: cannot create /var/spool/lpd/hpdj/.seq

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Alan Davis

--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)
AAA196, Box 10001    adavis@netpci.com   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis