Re: ISA vs PCI Modem

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Greg Scharrer wrote:

> I am thinking about buying a 56k modem. I have a 28.8k modem. I know not
> to buy a Winmodem. I have seen ads for ISA and PCI modems. Is one kind
> better than the other? Does the type of board slot affect capability or
> performance?

I can't imagine that ISA vs PCI would have that much effect on the system
load even when communicating at full speed, assuming that you've got the
buffering set up properly on either one.  (In fact, my recommendation
would be to get an external modem, which makes the point moot.)

My comment (and I'm speaking as an owner of an ISP who has taken his share
of "your service is crappy because when I use my $0.59 modem I can't
connect with it faster than 49,333 BPS" calls) is that if you want good
performance, you should get a decent modem.  That means that if you buy
USR (I don't, which is a long story) you get a Courier rather than a
Sportster.

I have heard really good things about Microcom and I've personally had
good luck with DataRace, not that I would be offended if you didn't take
my advice.  I don't buy modems, any more, because 28.8 is fast enough for
everything but connecting to the Internet, and I don't use a modem to
connect to the Internet.  (I'm running ISDN now, but I'll be installing
DSL in a month or so.)
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/