Re: Disk geommetry, was Re: Kernel Upgrade: Why?

I think that you are missing a very important point here.  A hard disk,
unlike, for example, an audio CD-ROM, spins at a fixed angular
velocity.  Thus the 'linear' speed over the disk surface is faster
towards the outside of the disk than towards the centre (as in v=wr).
Thus at the
very least, it would seem likely that the reading of a large amount of
data which was continuous would be quicker from the outside of the disk
than from the innner. (This probably represents a larger performance
increase with the large web-server than with the average single-user
system).

That said, I take your point about the seek time depending on the
distance that the heads have to move, and it is evident that multihead
drives would be expected to improve performance.

Rich