Re: Upgrading

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Stefan Kleijkers wrote:
>
>  : Hello,
>  :
>  : How easy is it to upgrade a Debian distribution? With RedHat it's very easy,
>  : you can buy/download a new version and chose UPGRADE in the installationmenu.
>  : Does Debian have something like that too?
>
> It's absurdly easy to upgrade debian, especially when using apt-get.
> Since debian uses dependencies you can usually "mix and match" pieces
> from different releases.

The last time when I upgraded (from 1.3.1 to 2.0) it took me more than 3
days to get everything that was broken working again.

Most of my time went into getting my mail to work again.  Smail changed
its configuration and it was broken during the upgrade.  I never succeeded
in getting it to work and with a lot of help from people on this list I
got exim to work  - not perfectly, but working.  To configure exim is also
not easy.

My emacs and tetex configurations also changed and that also waisted a lot
of my time to get it right again.  The old configurations did not have the
same effect.

After my experience of upgrading to hamm, I will think twice before I do a
whole system upgrade again.

Johann
| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that
      ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to
      comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and
      length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of
      Christ, which passeth  knowledge, that ye might be
      filled with all the fullness of God."
                                  Ephesians 3:17-19