Re: Beep

*- On 23 Apr, Ookhoi wrote about "Re: Beep"
> Hi!

>> Ookhoi:
>> > I just echo \a to /dev/tty8  It doesn't bother me there, and it makes a
>> > beeb (from out of a .procmailrc :-)
>>
>> You could also use the "wall" command - it notifies all logged-in users.
>>
>> Advantages:
>>  * also displays a message
>>  * notifies people even over telnet etc
>>
>> Disadvantages:
>>  * distracting message presented to users
>>  * does nothing if no-one is logged in
>
> Yeah, but the disadvantage _is_ that it actualy writes something to your
> screen. I just want the sound. :-)
> But thanx of course!
>
> 		Groetjes, Ookhoi

You could play a wav or ulaw file.  'play /path/to/file.wav' would
work.  This doesn't care about consoles or anything, as long as the
account that the command is run under has write access to the /dev/dsp
device you should be fine.  This has the advantage of letting you
select the sound for easy descrimination between some other random
beep

--
Brian
							   - unknown