Re: removing old kernel packages

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Aaron M. Stromas wrote:

   hi,

   i upgraded my kernel from 2.0.34 to 2.0.36. then, using dpkg -r, i
   went to remove kernel-[image|source]-2.0.34 but it complained about
   /lib/modules/2.0.34 and a number of directories under
   /usr/source/kernel-source-2.0.34 not being empty an didn't remove
   them.

   i'm tempted to remove those manually (or should i use dpkg
   --purge?) but something warns me that i may regret doing this
   later.

dpkg --purge is the way to go... it will remove configuration files
and directories previously used by a package.

   why dpkg behaves that way and how can i get rid of 2.0.34 stuff? i
   intend to install kernel-source-2.0.36 (kernel-image-2.0.36 is
   obvously already installed). tia,

I don't know for sure, but my logical guess for having a difference
between -r and --purge, is that you can keep your previous
configuration for a software package after removal, in the case you
want to re-install it.

Dennis
--
Dennis Kelly <dpk@egr.msu.edu>