[Fwd: Corel : GNOME vs KDE]

Sami Dalouche wrote:

> I don't understand why Corel has chosen KDE instead of Gnome.
> KDE is not free or not fully free.
> It's worse than Gnome :
>         - it takes more memory
>         - it's not GTK ( I'm a GTk fan)
>         - I will have less apps because Gnome is newer and has, I think, already a lot of
apps compared to KDE which is older.
>         - I don't remember other reasons but GNOME is greater !
Wake up and smell the money! The KDE folks have the right to SELL or
Liscense their desktop for commercial purposes if they want to. For now
they are giving it away but then so is Microsoft( Internet Explorer).
Why, to gain user acceptance and market share. We have to face the
reality that there are a lot of people who do not want to know what's
under the hood. They only want the machine to run, and produce what they
need. That is the market Corel is after. They intend to take it from
Microsoft. I personally have no problem with that because we hard core
Debian fans will only benefit in the long run.  How, because a long time
ago, someone had the forsite to file legally binding documents called
copyrights on the Open System software developed to run on the Open/free
Linux OS. We commonly refer to it as GPL, but they are really every bit
as legally binding as any contract. That insures that as long as any
software that is developed while using the previously free sofware or is
derived using that code, will remain free. So if Corel develops/improves
anything under the GPL, then that software will have to be released as
open/free software.so at the outset we should benefit greatly. Farther
down the road the Corel/KDE alliance will in fact develop other
propriatary software that will run on Linux but they wil develop it from
resources and code not already in the free software community. So that
the caveat. Whats in store for the future with debian is simple. If we
continue to support the movement we will stay way ahead of the
commercial alliances--all of them. That will require more people, more
actively involved in the development of open software. So there is in
fact a real challenge before the Debian community, SUPPORT the
developers. If you are a programmer, become involved. I for one am not,
but I regularly do test out new products( I have one system running all
beta software) and I try to help by forwarding any info regarding the
performance to the developers. i also read and subscribe to rhis and
other Linux mailing lists and I try to help others with therinstallation
problems. Why, because over the years ( Linux supporter since 1992)
others have been kind enough to help me.
--- Begin Message ---
Sami Dalouche wrote:

> I don't understand why Corel has chosen KDE instead of Gnome.
> KDE is not free or not fully free.
> It's worse than Gnome :
>         - it takes more memory
>         - it's not GTK ( I'm a GTk fan)
>         - I will have less apps because Gnome is newer and has, I think, already a lot of apps compared to KDE which is older.
>         - I don't remember other reasons but GNOME is greater !
Wake up and smell the money! The KDE folks have the right to SELL or
Liscense their desktop for commercial purposes if they want to. For now
they are giving it away but then so is Microsoft( Internet Explorer).
Why, to gain user acceptance and market share. We have to face the
reality that there are a lot of people who do not want to know what's
under the hood. They only want the machine to run, and produce what they
need. That is the market Corel is after. They intend to take it from
Microsoft. I personally have no problem with that because we hard core
Debian fans will only benefit in the long run.  How, because a long time
ago, someone had the forsite to file legally binding documents called
copyrights on the Open System software developed to run on the Open/free
Linux OS. We commonly refer to it as GPL, but they are really every bit
as legally binding as any contract. That insures that as long as any
software that is developed while using the previously free sofware or is
derived using that code, will remain free. So if Corel develops/improves
anything under the GPL, then that software will have to be released as
open/free software.so at the outset we should benefit greatly. Farther
down the road the Corel/KDE alliance will in fact develop other
propriatary software that will run on Linux but they wil develop it from
resources and code not already in the free software community. So that
the caveat. Whats in store for the future with debian is simple. If we
continue to support the movement we will stay way ahead of the
commercial alliances--all of them. That will require more people, more
actively involved in the development of open software. So there is in
fact a real challenge before the Debian community, SUPPORT the
developers. If you are a programmer, become involved. I for one am not,
but I regularly do test out new products( I have one system running all
beta software) and I try to help by forwarding any info regarding the
performance to the developers. i also read and subscribe to rhis and
other Linux mailing lists and I try to help others with therinstallation
problems. Why, because over the years ( Linux supporter since 1992)
others have been kind enough to help me.
begin:vcard
n:Foster;John
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.advance-computing.com
org:AdVance-Computing Systems;WHQ
version:2.1
email;internet:jfoster@augustmail.com
title:Owner
note:We Build Multi-Processor Computers
adr;quoted-printable:;;Stonetrail Drive=0D=0ASuite  A;Plano;Texas;75023-7223;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;22240
fn:John Foster
end:vcard