Re: Netscape Resources

Philip Lehman wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Greg Scharrer wrote:
>
> >I am using a Sony CPD-200ES Monitor and an S3 ViRGE/DX video card. When I
> >use Netscape 3 with a 1280x1024 resolution, the menu labels (e.g., File,
> >Go, Bookmarks) are small, and so are the buttons (e.g., Back, Forward).
> >Does anyone know how to make these items larger?
> >
> >I tried looking for the resource file (the Netscape help says it should be
> >Netscape.ad), but could not find it. Does anyone know where the resource
> >file is?
>
> In the same directory in which the executable resides. But this is the
> global resource file, you shouldn't change it but rather put any
> customized settings in your .Xdefaults file (this will override
> Netscape.ad) and add 'xrdb < .Xdefaults' to your .xinitrc or .xsession
> file.
>
> I don't think you can change the size of the buttons, but if you want
> larger fonts, just put something like this in .Xdefaults:
>
> Netscape*fontList:
> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--14-100-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
>
> This will change almost all fonts, but you can make more soecific
> settings.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Philip Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>

Looking at the Netscape app-defaults file I see:

*fontList:                      -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*

So the font is specified in the number of points. Perhaps you just need to tell your
XServer what the real dimensions of a pixel on your screen are. This is something
which I think few people do but it actually makes a lot more sense. I wish rxvt's
would always appear the same size on the screen regardless of the screen's size. I
recommend you measure the width of the viewable area of your screen and compute the
dots per inch you actually have. This setting then needs to be passed on the command
line to your X server. If you're using xdm you can edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers, eg.:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 100

This technique (and others is well documented in the X Font Deuglification HOWTO:
http://www.frii.com/~meldroc/Font-Deuglification.html). The changes outlined there
made a *huge* difference for me.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen