Re: W95 defrag

* Holger Mense <holger@gt-online.de> writes:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, H C Pumphrey wrote:
>> Greetings, fellow  Debian fans,
>>
>> This is only a proto-debian question, I'm afraid, but I have tried to
>> RTFM, honest. I'm trying to defrag the disc on a W95 laptop prior to using
>> FIPS to re-partition it so I can put Debian on it as well[1]. W95 defrag
>> will move a lot of stuff (which it colours turquoise) to the beginning of
>> the disc, but
>>
>> (a) it wants to put some things at the end and
>> (b) there are some things which it colours red/white and won't move at
>> all.
> Afaik defrag cannot move files, which have the one of the following
> attributes: read only, system or hidden.

Yes. Trying that on a friend´s computer, we had three rahter large
files lying around in the \windows\system directory with the system
(and hidden?)  attribute set. You could guess what files those are
by seeing what percentage these take of your harddisk. Removed the
attributes, defragged, set them again, et voila.

Cheers, Colin

--
Colin Marquardt <colin.marquardt@gmx.de>