Re: Corel : GNOME vs KDE

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Sami Dalouche wrote:

> I don't understand why Corel has chosen KDE instead of Gnome.
> KDE is not free or not fully free.
> It's worse than Gnome :
>  	- it takes more memory
> 	- it's not GTK ( I'm a GTk fan)
> 	- I will have less apps because Gnome is newer and has, I think, already a lot of apps compared to KDE which is older.
> 	- I don't remember other reasons but GNOME is greater !

Perhaps we can leave the GNOME vs. KDE flames on slashdot. However, I am
using GNOME because I want to. Howevere, I acknowledge that KDE is
relatively stable now and more mature. Definitely the right choice for
Corel at this time. KDE is fully free if Corel defines their OS
distribution as including QT runtime. Debian simply won't do that because
of DFSG, but there's nothing legally wrong with a company like Corel doing
so.

Thanks. Syrus.

--

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.