Re: Upgrading

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 04:14:08PM +0200, Stefan Kleijkers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How easy is it to upgrade a Debian distribution? With RedHat it's very easy,
> you can buy/download a new version and chose UPGRADE in the installationmenu.
> Does Debian have something like that too?

As I recall (it may have changed in the past two years), Red Hat
wouldn't upgrade on a running system like Debian can, but required
rebooting from an installation kernel.

I've upgraded several Debian systems without having to reboot at all,
including two which I did via a telnet connection to a remote site.

If you think upgrading Red Hat is easy, Debian is even easier:

apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade

Bob