Re: Debian package installation

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Kent West wrote:

> At 02:40 PM 4/21/1999 -0600, friddell@earthlink.net wrote:
> >I have downloaded Debian 2.1 and all of the packages to the harddrive
> >on my Dell GX1 400MHz with a WD 6.4GB drive. I got the kernel and base
> >system installed fine. Using 'dselect' I chose the Dialup default
> >Profile for the install. The 'Access' and 'Update' options run fine
> >and find all of the packages on my DOS partition. However, when I run
> >through the 'Install' option it errors out saying, "Installation
> >script returned error exit 1." I have reinstalled twice but it does
> >the same thing. It sounds like there is some package dependant on some
> >other but I'd prefer not to have to look through the more than 2000
> >packages.

Have you checked the "Select" section to see if dselect can tell you which
dependancies you have? Just going into the lsiting and hitting enter to
leave should bring up a dependancies screen if anything is wrong.

Otherwise, watch the cascade as it tries to install everything, there's
usually some sort of error message... If you're using the apt method,
"apt-get dselect-upgrade" will work the same as install in dselect, but
you can redirect stdout and stderr to make it easier to view.

> Because dselect doesn't do as good of a job as apt at ordering the
> installation of packages, sometimes you'll get a package installed prior to
> the one it needs configured before it can be configured (go [con]figure!).
> Just go through the configure phase 3 or 4 or 8 times and everything should
> eventually settle out.

Use the apt method in dselect! Read sources.list(5) for more information.