Can't play a wav

Can anyone help me? I recompiled a 2.0.36 Kernel to include SB 16
support. When the system boots it tells me sound init. complete, and
there are no signs of errors.  Here are some of the responses I get to
certain commands:

cat testsound.wav | /dev/audio
bash: /dev/audio: permission denied (I'm root!)
Broken pipe

similar message with /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp0, and /dev/dsp1

play testsound.wav
sox: Invalid buffer size 0

Again, sound support is in the kernel with the proper IRQ numbers and
DMA address.  Any help?  I'll try downloaded the 2.2.x kernels when I
get a chance.