Re: LLS: Debian/Redhat Alliance

>> "LS" == Lyno Sullivan <lls@freedomain.org> writes:

LS> People interested in becoming a volunteer producer, in the free
LS> software community, will more likely use the Debian distribution.
LS> Debian will become the nexus of the volunteer based, development
LS> community.

Why should this be the case? Do you really believe people will work
for the "free part" of a coorperate distribution, when they can
already get Debian Developers if they want and be *part of* a
wonderful free community?

As someone pointed out, anyone is already free to sell the Debian
Distribution, even Redhat. And they can use any part of Debian for
Redhat and we can take any part of Redhat for Debian (as long as the
specific license allows it).

LS> One missing ingredient is a commercial operation that will be the
LS> Redhat equivalent distributor of the Debian distribution.

We do not need, nor do we want to be controlled by acooperation.

LS> Another missing ingredient is the site that will provide the
LS> Volunteer Registry, the Project Registry and the Volunteer/Project
LS> Match facility.  This distributor (with Registries) will become
LS> the gentle onramp for wannabe free software volunteers.

This paragraph contains an important thing. There a people who want to
contribute, but don't know how. They are also peoploe who believe thy
can't contribute because they can't code (there is more than coding in
free software).

There was such an initiative, but I don't find any URL, so it
obviously wasn't very successful.

If you want to persude this idea, I'd contact the freshmeat stuff
about an extension of their service. I belive it will be quite easy to
add an "Help wanted" to the appindex items (user interested in a
particular programm are more eager to help) and to create a seperate
"Help wanted" forum for the rest.

Please keep me informed if you want to do this.

LS> Anyone wanting to volunteer time, should join the Debian
LS> community.  Free software, documentation, databases, images,
LS> poetry, literature, etc. will be developed and tested within the
LS> Debian community.  Software will flow from Debian to Redhat, for
LS> commercial packaging and distribution.

Again, there is no need for this. Anyone can use Free Software or
parts of Debian.

There is another thing you don't see. This may be because you are no
Debian Developer:

Debian is about freedom. I am Debian. My fellow developers are
Debian. We are proud about Debian, as it is our work. This is a main
driving force. We decide what we do and which direction Debian will
take.

Believe me, the majority of the Developers (including me) wouldn't
want to do this kind of work as a "developing ground" for a commercial
distribution. We don't need, and we don't want such a thing. This is
not the spirit of Debian. Remeber what coorperations hold nearly 50%
of Redhat.

Not to mention, that we like dpkg over rpm, and there are other things
were Debian and Redhat differ about the way of dooing things.

But both, Debian and Redhat, are part of the LSB to form rules for a
common base for Linux distributions. I don't have resentments about
Redhat. They release their work under the GPL, and I heared they have
good parties. Redhat and Debian are not competitors. And they are
seperate entities with different goals. This should stay this
way.

Another thing you might hear: How can you make such recommendation,
neither knowing Redhat's strategic business plans, nor knowing Debians
insides or spirit as you aren't a developer.

People will regard such a paper as arrogant.

I wouldn't publish it.

If you want to pursue the "Free Software Project needs help" thingy
above, please do so. This will be a useful thing, I belive.

And if you want to see Debian used more and by coorperations, please
wait until tomorrow and then visit slashdot.

Ciao,
	Martin - Debian Developer