Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:45:34 -0400
From: Matthew Prentice <mprentice@WESTLAKE.COM>
To: SERVER-LINUX@netspace.org
Subject: Re: Unknown Server Lockup

Ken,

It's a syslog hack exploit.  Make sure you have the most up-to-date
(k)syslog.

You might be able to rescue your system if you have a session
as root (either on the console, or telnet and then su to root).  You won't
be able to login after the exploit has been attempted.  If you already
have the root session established then you should be able to stop and
restart the klog and syslog processes and everything should be okay
(except you still have a vulnerable system).

I think there are some versions of syslog that claim to fix
the exploit but still lock up.  I upgraded a system of ours to a package
that claimed to fix the problem but the machine still locked up.  After I
upgraded to the next revision everything is fine.  I see some attempts in
the logs but the system keeps churning along without a hitch.

Matthew R. Prentice                             matthew@westlake.com
Director of Information Systems                         703-522-6500
WestLake Internet Training                          www.westlake.com