Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 1999 2:05 PM
Subject: LLS: Debian/Redhat Alliance

As soon as I get a chance I am going to write an article recommending that Redhat and Debian form an alliance.  Redhat becomes the distributor to 1) commercial operations and 2) people who are only interested in being free software consumers.

People interested in becoming a volunteer producer, in the free software community, will more likely use the Debian distribution.  Debian will become the nexus of the volunteer based, development community.

One missing ingredient is a commercial operation that will be the Redhat equivalent distributor of the Debian distribution.  Another missing ingredient is the site that will provide the Volunteer Registry, the Project Registry and the Volunteer/Project Match facility.  This distributor (with Registries) will become the gentle onramp for wannabe free software volunteers.  There is another ingredient but I cannot discuss it at this time.

Anyone wanting to volunteer time, should join the Debian community.  Free software, documentation, databases, images, poetry, literature, etc. will be developed and tested within the Debian community.  Software will flow from Debian to Redhat, for commercial packaging and distribution.  The distributions must become aligned towards this goal for it to work smoothly.

That's the picture I intend to promote.