Re: dependencies

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 08:20:22AM -0500, ktb wrote:
> A few weeks ago someone posted a command that showed the dependencies of
> a program.  I must have inadvertently deleted it and can't find it in
> the archives.  Anyway I would like to know how to reveal what libs a
> program uses or needs and once I find the libs know how to find the
> package the libs reside in. How do I do this?
> Thanks,
> kent

you can get information about the dependencies on shared libraries with
the ldd command.

Type ldd <executable>.

On my SuSE 5.3 system at work this yields:

$ ldd /bin/ls
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x4000c000)

As far programs go, you may be able to use dselect to resolve the
dependencies for you.  Otherwise dpkg is your friend.
I don't have the exact options handy, since I only use Debian at home.

Hope this helps at little bit.

So long,
Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                    engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de
                        *** Life is not fair. But the root password helps. ***