mod_perl breaks apache in potato?

I'm using the latest apache and mod_perl in potato.  Before activating mod_perl apache works properly in pulling down default pages.  For example, accessing http://localhost/ pulls down the index.html page.  After activating mod_perl the same URL generates a "Document contains no data" error; however, explicitly specifying the page -- http://localhost/index.html -- works.  Any ideas?  Is this a bug; or have I forgotten something?

Thanks,
Chris Runge
crunge@mindspring.com