how to serve /~username with apache

I've heard that this is a simple task, so hopefully someone out there
can help...

I want to configure my apache web server (v1.3) to automatically serve
out some arbitrary directory within each user's home directory (i.e.
/home/public_html )  I've heard that this is common practice and that it
would be served as something like this:

http://www.domain.com/~username

Is this an option in a config file somewhere that I can just turn on or
off?  I've looked through the configuration files and can't seem to find
anything about this option.  Any help would be appreciated!

Ben Frame
frameb@wabash.edu