Re: Referencing Tables in Latex?

paul.huygen@huygen.nl wrote:

> Andrew Holmes <andy@proxima.force9.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > However when I try to [reference with the \label/\ref mechanism]] with
> > a reference to a table, it prints the section the table is in, instead
> > of the number of the table.
>
> What you want to achieve can only be done if you put the table in a
> "table float", e.g.
>
> \begin{table}
>   \begin{tabular} ...
>   \end{tabular}
>
>   \label{tab:a-table}
>   \caption{blablabla}
> \end{table}

I think that's wrong.  Have you tried it?

The \label needs to be in a \caption.

---------------------------------
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\section{test}
\section{test}
\begin{table}
  \begin{tabular}{ll}
    s & l \\
    s & ll
  \end{tabular}

  \caption{
  \label{tab:a-table}
blablabla}
\end{table}

See table~\ref{tab:a-table}.
\end{document}

In the example, table 1 is in section 2.  The output should say
``See table 1.''.

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada