Re: Dual Boot Linux/NT and ATI Rage IIc video

Well,
     I'm not quite sure what happened, but here it is. I decided that I would
try putting the original X files back in from my CD, so I ran dselect, pointed
it at my CD, and let it go. It restored alot of files, but not all of them. I
ran the install option several time, but kept getting the same dependency
problems. Then I tried using dpkg to install JUST xserver-mach64, thinking I
could just check the dep's for it, and of course it failed miserably. At this
point I figured my X directory was pretty hosed up. XF86Setup kept complaining
about xinitrc files missing. I ran xf86config, and it let me select the Rage IIC
card. But XF86Setup still wouldn't run. I rebooted it back to Windows out of
disgust with myself. Later I figured I would just delete the entire X11R6
directory and try again with dselect. Imagine my surprise when, just as I was
waiting for login at tty1, all of a sudden I got the X login screen! I logged
in, and now I've got X. About 4 time the size of my 17" monitor. The screen
scrolls with the mouse. The menu is there, I'm using fmw95, and lots of app's
seem to be installed, but most of them don't work, yet. I haven't tried running
XF86Setup yet, But I think I'll contact my friend here and see if he'll burn me
a new CD with the latest version on it and try to upgrade with that. I need to
get together with some Linux users to find out how to configure the rest of my
system, but at least I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I
just hope it doesn't turn out to be a train! As for the other prob's, My modem
is a Rockwell, I need to get that replaced, I think. My sound card is a crystal
something. I have a lexmark 3200 colour printer, and I plan to get a cheap PC
for my daughter as an X terminal, so we can stop fighting over the PC! This is
certainly going to be an interesting and, hopefully, fun, learning curve. But I
might as well jump in with both feet and take the plunge!

Wish me luck!

Cheers,

     John Gay