Compilation problems with XEmacs

I have the debian sources for xemacs 20.4-13 and wanted to recompile
it to remove the gpm support.  After applying a little filter to the
debian/rules file to get rid of the mule variants:

  while(<STDIN>) {
    print unless /mule/;
    next unless /nomule/;
    s/\S*canna\S*//g;
    s/\S*[-_]mule\S*//g;
    s/[ ]mule\S*/ /g;
    print;
  }

I compiled it as usual.  However, gcc complained about the ndbm.h file
missing.  I used locate to find it in /usr/include/db1 and changed the
rules file to point to this include locatation.  The compilation
succeeded, however xemacs crashed as soon as I started it in X11 (with
-nw or in linux console it run fine).

I was able to track the problem down to the database library.  If I
add the "--with-database=berkdb" option to the configure call in
debian/rules, the resulting version won't crash on my system.

Does anybody has similiar problems after stepping to glibc2.1
(currently 2.1.1-0.2 is installed)?  Is there a better way to solve
this problem without correcting the self-detection routines in
autoconf.h?  I'd like to compile unchanged debian packages on my
system.

	Torsten

--
Homepage: http://www.in-berlin.de/User/myrkr