Re: misconfigured exim?

I just started having a similar problem this weekend.  Mail delivery prior to
Friday evening had been fine, then this started happening:

 SyberSpace:/# exim -v -qf

Single queue run
LOG: 0 MAIN
  Start queue run: pid=1429
delivering message 10YYbE-00015f-00 (queue run pid 1429)
Connecting to mail.flex.net [207.70.185.245] ... connected
  SMTP<< 220 tron.flex.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Sun, 18 Apr 1999
01:55:24 -0500
  SMTP>> EHLO SyberSpace
  SMTP<< 250-tron.flex.net Hello mail@207-18-136-83.flex.net [207.18.136.83],
pleased to meet you
         250-8BITMIME
         250-SIZE 10000000
         250-DSN
         250-ONEX
         250-ETRN
         250-XUSR
         250 HELP
  SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<srgore@SyberSpace> SIZE=1473
  SMTP<< 451 <srgore@SyberSpace>... Domain must resolve
  SMTP>> QUIT
LOG: 0 MAIN
  == srgore@netscape.net T=remote_smtp defer (0): SMTP error from remote
mailer after MAIL FROM: <srgore@SyberSpace> SIZE=1473: host mail.flex.net
[207.70.185.245]: 451 <srgore@SyberSpace>... Domain must resolve
delivering message 10YlQB-0000Lz-00 (queue run pid 1429)
Connecting to mail.flex.net [207.70.185.245] ... connected
  SMTP<< 220 tron.flex.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Sun, 18 Apr 1999
01:55:25 -0500
  SMTP>> EHLO SyberSpace
  SMTP<< 250-tron.flex.net Hello mail@207-18-136-83.flex.net [207.18.136.83],
pleased to meet you
         250-8BITMIME
         250-SIZE 10000000
         250-DSN
         250-ONEX
         250-ETRN
         250-XUSR
         250 HELP
  SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<srgore@SyberSpace> SIZE=1473
  SMTP<< 451 <srgore@SyberSpace>... Domain must resolve
  SMTP>> QUIT
LOG: 0 MAIN
  == srgore@netscape.net T=remote_smtp defer (0): SMTP error from remote
mailer after MAIL FROM: <srgore@SyberSpace> SIZE=1473: host mail.flex.net
[207.70.185.245]: 451 <srgore@SyberSpace>... Domain must resolve
LOG: 0 MAIN
  End queue run: pid=1429
I've run eximconfig to make sure I'm set-up to use my ISP as a smarthost
(first set of options, #2 - Internet site using smarthost),set the 'visible
name' to flex.net, and added 'localhost.  This is the result:

Mail generated on this system will have `flex.net' used
as the domain part (after the @) in the From: field and similar places.

The following domain(s) will be recognised as referring to this system:
 flex.net, localhost

Mail for postmaster, root, etc. will be sent to srgore.

Local mail is delivered.

Outbound remote mail is sent via mail.flex.net.
In exim.conf:

qualify_domain = flex.net
local_domains = flex.net:localhost
local_domains_include_host = true

local_domains_include_host_literals = true
never_users = root
host_lookup_nets = 0.0.0.0/0
sender_host_accept_relay = localhost
trusted_users = mail
smtp_verify = false
gecos_pattern = ^([^,:]*)

gecos_name = $1
smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 100

(...some stuff I'm pretty sure doesn't affect delivery...)

address_reply:

  driver = autoreply
remote_smtp:

  driver = smtp

(...more stuff clipped...)

smarthost:

  driver = domainlist

  transport = remote_smtp

  route_list = "* mail.flex.net bydns_a"
I have talked to a friend (sysadm) who claims ISP's are moving toward
requiring users to have a FQDN, is this true?  My hostname (SyberSpace) was
just a spur-of-the-moment decision at install time, and has caused no probs
till now.

What?! 02:20! I've got to get some sleep.

Thanks,
Steve Gore