Re: Diald Problems

Russell Rademacher writes:
> What is the main purpose of slip running in the background?  What is it
> supposed to be listening so it can detect the network request packet and
> then actually start dialing?

Diald creates a SLIP interface, makes it the defaultroute, and connects it
to a pty.  Diald then listens to the other end of the pty.  When you send a
packet to a host to which you are not directly connected the kernel looks
at the address, says "I don't know this guy.  Let the gateway deal with
this" and sends the packet down the defaultroute.  Diald receives the
packet and examines it.  If it is of a type that is supposed to bring up
the link, it starts pppd.  When the PPP link is up it does some black magic
with the routing table to substitute the PPP link for the SLIP one as
defaultroute, and you're off.

Diald is either an elegant design or an ugly kludge.

> Basically... I am on the box itself which have diald installed and I have
> set the local and remote hosts at 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2...

You are already using 192.168.0.0 for your ethernet:

> Network Initialation - init.d section:
> #! /bin/sh
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.0
> route add -net 192.168.0.0