Problem recompiling kernel 2.0.36 for Ensoniq AudioPCI sound card

Help!! I'm getting the following error messages on recompiling the
kernel to recognise my Ensoniq AudioPCI sound card:

make [1] as86: Command not found
make [1]: [bootsect.o] Error 127
make [1]: Leaving directory /usr/kernel-source-2.0.36/arch/i386/boot
make [1]: *** [zImage] Error 2

Originally, I ran dselect to install the kernel source
kernel-source-2.0.36.tar.gz and kernel-headers-2.0.36.deb. dselect
unpacked the headers, but not the source. I ran:

gzip -cd kernel-source-2.0.36.tar.gz | tar xfv -

to unpack the source. First time round, I didn't read the README and
assumed that dselect installed everything where it should. I ran:

make xconfig

(contrary to the advice in the kernel how-to, which says it's easier for
a beginner to make a mistake with xconfig). After choosing my sound
card, I ran:

make dep ; make clean

before running:

make zImage

after which I got the error messages at the beginning of this post. I
tried again using 'make menuconfig'. Same result. I deinstalled the
source and header packages, although dselect didn't actually seem to
remove anything from disk. I manually deleted everything under usr/src
and reinstalled them using dselect. Dselect unpacked the headers, but
didn't even place kernel-source-2.0.36.tar.gz in the usr/src directory,
so I did that myself. The README says you have to remove certain
directories in 'include' and create links to other directories:

		cd /usr/include
		rm -rf asm linux scsi
		ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
		ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
		ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi

I replaced 'linux' in the commands above with 'kernel-source-2.0.36' to
reflect the structure on my system. I then tried again with the "new
layout", but still the same error messages.

Can somebody please advise me?
TIA,
David