Why does Netscape hang

I'm running Netscape 4.5 on Debian 2.1 (I'm a newbie with Linux).
I am using a Netscape tar.gz file from a magazine CD (it is the glibc2
version of Netscape).
I log on as a non-root user.
Netscape starts fine and I can browse without problems.
But when I try to use the 'Messenger' part of the program, it does not
work.
The cpu usage goes upto about 98%, and no matter how long I leave it,
Netscape remains unusable (hung?).
I have reinstalled Netscape base from dselect and the everything worked
fine the first time.
But after logging out, and then back in again it hangs again.
This only happens if I am not root.
I would be grateful of any help you can offer me.
Thank you.

Matt