Re: new ATI graphics boards

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Pavel Mores wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Jeff Noxon wrote:
>
> > You might be better off avoiding ATI graphics boards under Linux.  ATI is
> > not cooperative with the developer community and drivers tend to take a
> > while to get written & stabilize.
[...]
> It's too bad if ATI refuses to cooperate (I didn't know). However,
> I've been using a Rage II+ based card for about 6 months now with
> absolutely no problem.

 I was looking at ATI cards, but I've heard now from several sources that
they're not forthcoming to the XFree86 team. Apparently nVidia's been
willing to help out with drivers (after some initial stumbling), and there
have been some reports that they have about two engineers looking at 3D
acceleration under Linux.

 Once I scrape together the money I'll probably get an nVidia card. I want
to vote with my dollars and support companies that are friendly to
open-source. Apparently the 3DFx (Voodoo stuff) are fairly well-supported
under Linux, but from what I've been able to gather it's only because 3DFx
has released a binary-only module that introduces security holes.

 If anyone has any further information or suggestions I'd be happy to hear
about it...

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles        (248) 377-7735         ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

     "Economies don't like step functions." - Dr. Leonard Bieman