Space problems

My Debian slink used to crash all the X-programs I tried to run, and I
couldn't figure why. So I went the Windows-way: reinstall.

I partitioned my HD also in a new way: smaller /dev/hda1 (/ 256Mb), larger
/dev/hda2 (/usr ab. 5Gb) and a swap /dev/hda3 (100mb). After installing and
apt-getting all the packages, I noticed that I was little short-sighted:
/dev/hda1 might run out of space pretty quickly.

I wouldn't want to reinstall everything, so I figured that I create
/usr/local/home and link it to /home.

Is this stupid? If not, can I also do the same thing with /var/spool/mail
without breaking important?

Is there a better way?

--
V.K. <dali@nic.fi>